Can Chase Sapphire Reserve Annual Fee Waived ? One Simple Answer is NO. But before you cancel or downgrade, do these below steps to gain without paying the Annual Fee for the 2nd anniversary year. If I renew how does the $450 annual gets paid off by itself. Follow this post to learn how to Maximize the $450 Annual Fee easily.
Steps to Gain Chase Sapphire Benefits without Paying Annual Fee
- Get your $300 travel credit first, if you signed up after May 20th, 2017, make sure you get your 2nd travel credit within 30 days after your 2nd year annual fee posted to your statement. Hypothetically, lets say you got the card on May 21st, 2017, then you can get your 2nd travel credit before June 21st, 2018 and downgrade or cancel the card by then. The reason behind is, if you cancel within 30 days after your anniversary date then it will be eligible to get full $450 refund. If you downgrade or cancel after 1 month of your anniversary, it will be prorated and refunded for no:of months left.
- If you signed up on or before May 20th 2017, then you are eligible for your 2nd year $300 travel credit after the statement in Dec 2017 until the next Dec ’18 statement date. So you can claim your 2nd travel credit before your anniversary date and downgrade or cancel it before that date. You will not be charged for 2nd year Annual Fee.
- Apply for Global Entry or TSA Pre, which is valid for 5 years. Its worth $99.
- Redeem your Ultimate rewards for travel benefit before cancelling, otherwise you will lose the 1.5X benefit. Learn more how much other cards UR points are worth and to maximize it.
- Book your Special Car Rental Privileges in advance to benefit from the Rental discount program.
One last suggestion is to convert this card to Chase Freedom as it would benefit the quarterly 5% rewards or the Freedom Unlimited 1.5% rewards instead of downgrading to simple Sapphire Card which gives just 1% rewards. So, decide based on what other cards you have. Its wise to have at least One Chase Reserve per family and keep both the freedom cards. These 3 combination will help you rack the maximum ultimate rewards.
If you have a success story in getting waived, post below.
CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE
50,000 BONUS POINTS
after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from
account opening— that’s $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.